Sidney (Sydney) NORRIS

Full Name Sidney (Sydney) NORRIS
Serial No. 6/3415
Rank Private
Status/Occupation Single / –
Body 8th Reinforcement, NZEF
Unit Canterbury Infantry Regiment
Last Address Aongatete, Tauranga
Next of Kin George Norris (Father), Aongatete, Tauranga
WW1 Medal Entitlement 1914-15 Star
British War Medal 1914-19
Victory Medal
Embarked Embarked 13th November 1915 from New Zealand aboard either HMNZT 35 (ss Willochra) or HMNZT 36 (ss Tofua) and disembarked 18th December 1915 at Port Suez, Egypt.  (NB unable to ascertain which companies were transported in which troopship).
Casualty List Book V, Page 364
Canterbury Infantry Regiment Died of Wounds Non-commissioned Officers and Men
"6/3415 Private Norris, S. Date Reported 31st May 1916; Casualty List No 326/1; Force 8th Reinforcement"
Roll of Honour 6/3415 Pte. Norris, Sidney C.I.R. Died of Wounds, France, 24th May 1916
Commemorative Information
Cemetery Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension (Nord), Nord, France
Grave Number I. A. 21.
Location Bailleul is a large town in France, near the Belgian border, 14.5 kilometres south-west of Ieper and on the main road from St. Omer to Lille. From the Grand Place, take the Ieper road and 400 metres along this road is a sign indicating the direction of the cemetery. Turn right into a small road and follow for approximately 400 metres. The cemetery is on the right and the Communal Cemetery Extension is at the bottom end.
Additional Information Bailleul was occupied on the 14th October 1914 by the 19th Brigade and the 4th Division. It became an important railhead, air depot and hospital centre; the 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 11th, 53rd, 1st Canadian and 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Stations were quartered in it for considerable periods. It was a Corps Headquarters until July 1917, when it was severely bombed and shelled; the burials in Plot III, Row D of the Extension bear witness to the resulting casualties. The Battle of Bailleul, one of the Battles of the Lys, began on the 13th and ended on the 15th April 1918. The town was defended by the 29th, 31st, 34th and 59th (North Midland) Divisions and the 4th Guards and 147th Brigades, but it was entered by the Germans in the evening of the 15th. By the end of the month the enemy advance was held at St. Jans-Cappel and Meteren, North and West of Bailleul; and the Allied artillery had destroyed the town. It was found empty and re-occupied on the 30th August 1918. The earliest British burials were made at the East end of the Communal Cemetery; but by April 1915 the space available was filled, and the Extension was begun. The Extension was used until April 1918, and again in September; and after the Armistice graves were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields. There are now nearly 4,500, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 200 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified, and eleven special memorials record the names of soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried here in April 1918, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery now covers an area of 9,467 square metres and is enclosed by a red brick wall, except where the terrace stands which carries the War Stone. In the centre of the town is the stone obelisk erected by the 25th Division as their Memorial on the Western front, recalling particularly the beginning of their war service at Bailleul and their part in the Battle of Messines. The town War Memorial, a copy of the ruined tower and belfry of the Church of St. Vaast, was unveiled in 1925 by the Lord Mayor of Bradford, the City which "adopted" Bailleul. The burial grounds from which graves were removed to Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension were the following:- PONT-DE-NIEPPE GERMAN CEMETERY, on the South side of the hamlet of Pont-de-Nieppe, made in the summer of 1918. It contained German graves (now removed) and those of a soldier and an airman from the United Kingdom. RENINGHELST CHINESE CEMETERY, in a field a little South of the Poperinghe-Brandhoek road, where 30 men of the Chinese Labour Corps were buried in November 1917-March 1918.