Robert Edward EVANS

Full Name Robert Edward EVANS
Serial No 51561
Rank Private
Status/Occupation -- / Farmer
Body 26th Reinforcement, (2nd Draft)
Unit E Company
Last Address ---
Next of Kin Alfred Evans (Father), Table Flat, Apiti (Apata ?)
WW1 Medal Entitlement British War Medal 1914-19
Victory Medal
Embarked Embarked 12th June 1917 aboard HMNZT 86 (ss Maunganui) and disembarked 15th August 1917 at Plymouth, ENGLAND
Casualty List Book XIV, Page 1833
Wellington Infantry Regiment Died of Wounds Non-commissioned Officers and Men
"51561 Private Evans, R.E. Date Reported 16th September 1918; Casualty List No 953/9; Force 26th Reinforcement"
Roll of Honour 51561 Pte. Evans, Robert Edward W.I.R. Died of Wounds, France, 12th September 1918
Commemorative Information
Cemetery St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, Seine-Maritime, France
Grave Number R. III. H. 3.
Location St. Sever Cemetery and Extension is situated about 3 kilometres south of Rouen Cathedral and a short distance west of the road from Rouen to Elbeuf. Coming from Elbeuf/Caen on the N.138 follow Avenue Des Canadiens right down to the roundabout. Take the fourth exit into Rue Stanislas De Jardin, and the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left. If coming from station Rive Gauche, Gare St Sever, follow Quai D'Elbeuf, Quai Jean Moulin, Quai Cavelier De La Salle into Avenue Jean Rondeaux, Av. De La Liberation, Bd. Du 11 Novembre to the roundabout. Take first exit into Rue Stanislas De Jardin, the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left. St Sever is part of Le Petit Quevilly. The first CWGC signpost is just when you get to the entrance of the cemetery.
Additional Information During the 1914-1918 War, British camps and hospitals were placed on the Southern outskirts of the city, a Base Supply Depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were established at Rouen. The Hospitals at Rouen remained there in almost all cases for practically the whole of the 1914-1918 War. They included eight General, five Stationary, one British Red Cross and one Native Labour Hospitals, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the war dead from these Hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to St. Sever; and in September, 1916, it was found necessary to begin using the Extension. The last burial in the Extension took place in April, 1920. In the Extension there are 8,363 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war, 28 of which are unidentified. There are a further 310 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war. In addition 8 Foreign Nationals are buried here. The cemetery covers an area of 49,885 square metres. The War Stone is on the boundary of the original Cemetery and the Extension, facing the City of Rouen War Memorial. The Cross is raised on a terrace on the further side of the Extension. The Chapel, cruciform and surmounted by a dome, is in the middle of the Extension.